The FAA has notified Cobb County that McCollum Airport’s control tower is scheduled to be closed on April 7th, 2013. The duration is unknown at this time.
The Airport will remain open and operate as an uncontrolled airfield.
The FAA has decided to close control towers with less than 150,000 total operations and 10,000 commercial (airline) operations to meet its required Sequestration budget cut.
The FAA is planning for the closing of 173 control towers beginning April 7th, 2013, with an additional 16 to be closed on September 30th, 2013.
An additional 48 control towers are being addressed for closure separately from this process.
There are a total of 515 control towers in the country and 246 are progressing toward closure. The following Georgia Control Towers are preparing for closure:
- ABY Southwest Georgia Regional Albany GA
- AHN Athens-Ben Epps Athens GA
- CSG Columbus Metropolitan Columbus GA
- FTY Fulton County-Brown Field Atlanta GA
- LZU Gwinnett County-Briscoe Field Lawrenceville GA
- MCN Middle Georgia Regional Macon GA
- RYY Cobb County-McCollum Field Atlanta GA
For more information about the McCollum closure, please contact Karl Von Hagel, A.A.E., Airport Manager, at (770) 528-1615.